Sunday, May 16, 2010

Protectors

Picture This:
Your five years old. You're scared. Down stairs there's screaming. Upstairs there's unrestful sleeping. You want your mother to hold you and tell you everything's all right...But she can't.
Kids want one thing. Happiness, to know that they're safe, that everyone they love is. Yet, where is that happiness when there's screaming downstairs and yelling and no one's there to hold you and comfort you?
So, I quietly walked down to my little brother who had waterfalls on his face. I led him out of the empty black hallway and to my room. I had wanted to ween him from cuddling in my bed, yet, the tears weakened me. I laid him on my bed as he cried. I remained rubbing his back attempting to play the motherly role and sooth him to sleep. He eventually calmed down but just looked at me with empty eyes. I sighed and he grabbed me tight in a hug. He didn't let go. Just grasping for something, anything, but that something was me. I held him making sure he knew I had him. I wouldn't let him fall. I wouldn't let him hurt. I wouldn't let him be alone.
He let go and looked at me with honest eyes. "I love you." He went back and held me tight. I whispered, "I love you too." He finally laid down his head on the pillow. He saw me holding my Polar bear that I sleep with. "You want one?" I went to my closet and let him pick from The Beast in Beauty and the Beast, Penguins, and a Dog. He grabbed the dog with fast fingers. "Protector." He said.
I looked at him puzzled. "Protector." He stated again. "He won't let me get hurt. He's gonna save me." I put my hand on his back. "We're here too." I told him making sure he knew that we were real. "But he can't hurt me." I felt my eyes mimick his eyes earlier. We waled back to my bed. "At night, he comes alive and guards me. He won't let anyone hurt any of us. He's special. He kisses me sometimes too. He makes sure I won't die. He loves me. He loves mommy too and dad and you and everyone in the world! Protector loves helping people. Protector loves me. Protector protects me." I kissed his child forhead. "Goodnight, I love you." I whispered.
I laid on my side and looked at my bare wall. I closed my eyes and pictured someone looking over me. Someone protecting me. I pictured someone making sure I was smiling. Someone picking me up from rock bottom.
Everyone needs someone to protect them...lover, friends, family, people, teachers, someone....
PictureThisGirl<3

No comments:

Post a Comment